I Read Banned Books

2:48 PM Serena 0 Comments

Since Banned Books Week is coming to an end, I thought I'd share some of my favorite banned/challenged books.  

But first: what is Banned Books Week? Banned Books Week is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read. This week it is running from September 21st to September 27th (tomorrow). You can find out more at the American Library Association's website or at bannedbooksweek.org


Here are some banned and/or challenged books I love: 

1. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins 

2. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

3. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

4. Looking for Alaska by John Green 

5. The Giver by Lois Lowry 

6. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury 

These are all books that have affected me in some way. 


"It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone." -Cassandra Clare

When a book is banned it not only censors the thoughts that the author worked so hard to get out into the open, but it's also a hindrance for readers looking for books to relate to. People want to experience things that get them, and books are that thing for so many. But some books won't get the opportunity to help people if they're gone. Banning books is so much more harmful than it is helpful. 

So with that being said, read banned books. Read and help support the freedom of expression that people are working so hard to silence. 


0 comments: