Review: Maybe Someday

12:00 AM Serena 0 Comments

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover 
Format: Owned, ebook
Rating: 3.5-4/5 stars 
Part of a series? Not really, but it has a companion novel, Maybe Not

At twenty-two years old, Sydney has a great life: She's in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her best friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter's cheating on her--and she is left trying to decide what to do next.

Sydney becomes captivated by Ridge, her mysterious neighbor. She can't take her eyes off him or stop listening to the passionate way he plays his guitar every evening out on his balcony. And there's something about Sydney that Ridge can't ignore, either. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one...

This book was hard to rate because it was hard to read. I liked the first tenish percent and the last tenish percent, but the in between area was a 3.5 star read. The only reason I ended up rounding up was because during that last ten percent, there were tears. I always round up for tears. Books that can make me feel things that aren't 'eh' and 'ugh' are books that I appreciate. Since there's a pretty even amount of things I liked and didn't like about Maybe Someday, I'm going to make a pros/cons list to help you understand my feelings better. Here goes. 

*Minor spoiling is going to take place*
Pros:
  • The music! I have a strong appreciation for books about music because books and music are two of my favorite things. This one gets extra points because there's an actual soundtrack for it that I really enjoyed and the lyrics are included in the book. 
  • I thought it was really well written. The story was well-paced, and there weren't many areas where it seemed to drag on. Also, I think this is the first book I've read with a deaf MC, so I thought that was interesting. 
  • The ending! I was thoroughly satisfied with the ending, even though I didn't think I would be. The epilogue made it even better. 
Cons: 
  • THE LOVE TRIANGLE. This is the biggie for me, the reason why I didn't love this book as much as I wanted to. I was unaware of the love triangle in this book when I purchased it. I am not a fan of love triangles. I try to avoid them as much as possible, so when I realized there was going to be a love triangle (about 10% in), I almost put the book down. I especially don't like love triangles where one person ends up cheating on their significant other, so this was no bueno. And frustrating. And minorly 'ugh'. 
  • There were times when I wanted to shake these characters. That kind of goes hand in hand with the love triangly/cheating thing though. 
There you go. That's what I liked and disliked about Maybe Someday. I didn't think it was a bad book, but the love triangle REALLY bothered me. If you don't hate love triangles though, I'd give it a try. The ending alone might make it worth your while. 






0 comments: