Guest Post: Lisa Maxwell's Fictional Boyfriends

12:00 AM Serena 5 Comments

Hello, all! Happy Friday! I have a special guest on the blog today. You know how much I love finding people who love talking about fictional guys and gals as much as I do, so I'm so happy have Lisa Maxwell, author of the upcoming Unhooked, here.


Thanks so much for having me on Reading Over Sleeping! I’m excited to be here talking about my favorite book boyfriends!


#1 Forever and Always: James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser. And yes, I did just type out his entire name. I’m not sure who hasn’t heard of OUTLANDER by this point, but I’m a huge fan of the entire series. I love Claire something fierce (she’d be my #1 book girlfriend), but what is not to like about her one true love, Jamie Fraser? Even if he wasn’t tall, dark, and Scottish, he’s steadfast and true. He’s a hero worthy of Claire, and even across the decades, he’s every bit as wonderful as he was in that first book, when he’s a 21 year old virgin.


#2 But a Darn Close Second: Jericho Barrons. Holy hell, Barrons. He’s the…well, he’s not exactly a hero, is he? But he’s the main man in Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series. For most of the series, you don’t know if he’s even one of the good guys, and you don’t even care. The chemistry between Mac and Barrons just sizzles, and the five-book of nearly torturous sexual tension is totally worth the payoff.


#3 My First Book Boyfriend: I was 17 when I first read ALL THE PRETTY HORSES, but John Grady Cole stole my heart. This is one movie adaptation that should have never been made, because no way did Matt Damon capture the ardent-hearted innocence of this character. I fell hard for him then, and still do every time I re-read the book.


#4 The Darkling: I mean, Mal is nice and all, but who could help but love The Darkling in Leigh Bardugo’s Grisha trilogy? I’m not sure what this says about me, but I really wanted things to work out for him. That scene where you can tell just how tortured he is by his attraction to Alina? *bites fist*  That can’t be just me, right. RIGHT?


#5 The Captain: I know, I know. He’s mine, but…he’s MINE. I’ve seen a lot of comparisons to my Captain and Hook on OUAT. I’m a huge admirer of Colin O’Donoghue’s version of the character, so these make me really happy, but the truth is, I wrote my Hook about a year before that storyline. They have a lot in common, but my Hook is younger and a bit more tortured. From the first moment he swaggered onto the page, I was in love, and the more I developed his backstory, the more hooked (hahaha) I was. And still am. So I’ll take all the comparisons to OUAT people want to make, but in my head, the Captain is even better.


Thanks so much for having me!!


About Lisa: 

Lisa Maxwell is the author of Sweet Unrest, Gathering Deep, and Unhooked (Simon Pulse, 2-2-16). When she's not writing books, she's an English professor at a local college. She lives near DC with her very patient husband and two not-so patient boys.
This July, she will be teaching a writing workshop for a week in western Ireland. You can check out more information at http://www.irelandwritertours.com/


Find Lisa online:


Twitter: @lisamaxwellYA

About Unhooked:

For as long as she can remember, Gwendolyn Allister has never had a place to call home—all because her mother believes that monsters are hunting them. Now these delusions have brought them to London, far from the life Gwen had finally started to build for herself. The only saving grace is her best friend, Olivia, who’s coming with them for the summer.

But when Gwen and Olivia are kidnapped by shadowy creatures and taken to a world of flesh-eating sea hags and dangerous Fey, Gwen realizes her mom might have been sane all along.

The world Gwen finds herself in is called Neverland, yet it’s nothing like the stories. Here, good and evil lose their meaning and memories slip like water through her fingers. As Gwen struggles to remember where she came from and find a way home, she must choose between trusting the charming fairy-tale hero who says all the right things and the roguish young pirate who promises to keep her safe.

With time running out and her enemies closing in, Gwen is forced to face the truths she’s been hiding from all along. But will she be able to save Neverland without losing herself? 


Lisa and I would love to hear about your fictional crushes. Feel free to gush in the comments! Thanks for stopping by, and thanks, Lisa, for writing! Grab Unhooked when it releases on Tuesday! 

5 comments:

  1. A giant YES to Lisa's #1 pick! I remember reading Outlander for the first time 15+ years ago and feeling like there would never be another male character/book boyfriend like Jamie Fraser. Others may come close but Jamie... wow. I have yet to meet Jericho Barrons or The Darkling... even though I own both series. I know, I know, what am I waiting for? These days my book boyfriend is filled with a lot of Colleen Hoover leads (Miles Archer, anyone?) and Daemon Black from JLA's Lux series (hot, snarky, alien? Yes please!). Unhooked sounds super exciting and I'm looking forward to meeting The Captain!!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have yet to read Outlander or watch the show, so I still haven't had the pleasure of meeting Jamie. He sounds amazing though. I have a love/not so much love relationship with The Darkling, but I'd definitely recommend reading the series because there's another boy in there that I love. I don't read a lot of CoHo, but I do think Daemon is delightful. I'm excited to meet The Captain, too! Thanks for stopping by, Tanya! xo

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Barrons... YESSSSSSS.
      I tried to watch Outlander and I just couldn't. I'll stick to reading, but now I have the delightful Sam Hueghan to picture while I read :O)

      Delete
  2. I love the cover illustration of Unhooked. Savings in Seconds sent me.

    ReplyDelete