Guest Post: Books Joshua David Bellin Lost Sleep Over

12:00 AM Serena 0 Comments

 You guys know that here at Reading Over Sleeping, I condone, well, reading instead of sleeping. Because who needs sleep when you have books, am I right? Today I have a fun guest post for y'all from Joshua David Bellin, author of the upcoming Scavenger of Souls (out August 23rd). He's here to talk about some books he lost sleep over. 

I feel as if the tagline “Who needs sleep when you have books?” was written with me in mind! I’ve been a compulsive reader since I was, well, able to read, and that hasn’t changed. In fact, now that I’m writing novels myself, I find myself reading even more, mostly Middle Grade and Young Adult, to the tune of about 100 novels per year.

To give you an idea of what I like to read, here’s a list of six books I’ve stayed up until the wee hours reading in the first half of this year.

1.     Dianne Salerni, The Morrigan’s Curse. This is the third book in a Middle Grade series about a special eighth day of the week accessible only to certain people. It combines fantasy, science fiction, time travel, Arthurian legend, and contemporary crime in an utterly unique mix. The first two books, The Eighth Day and The Inquisitor’s Mark, are pretty awesome too.

2.     Parker Peevyhouse, Where Futures End. I’m not entirely sure what to call this book. It’s YA science fiction/fantasy, but it’s so original the labels don’t tell you much. It’s also narrated in a series of linked short stories, which gives it a really distinctive structure. All I can say is that I stayed up through the night reading it during a family vacation, and I didn’t even realize until the next morning how uncomfortable the bed was!

3.     Chris Howard, Night Speed. Howard’s one of my favorite YA science fiction authors, the twisted genius behind the Rootless trilogy, about a future Earth without trees. Night Speed is about an elite crime unit that tracks criminals who use an illegal street drug to give themselves superhuman speed and strength—but to catch them, the “good guys” have to use the same addictive drug. I felt as if I was racing along with the main character as I devoured this book.

4.     Eliot Schrefer, Rescued. I’ve loved apes since I was a child, so when I discovered YA author Schrefer’s “ape quartet,” four books featuring a young person’s relationship with each of the four great apes, I knew the series was for me! The first two books, Endangered and Threatened, focus on bonobos and chimpanzees; Rescued is about orangutans. A fourth book will be about my favorite apes, gorillas. Can’t wait!

5.     Amy Allgeyer, Dig Too Deep. For whatever reason, I don’t read a lot of YA contemporary; I prefer science fiction and fantasy. But Allgeyer’s book, about the effects of mountaintop coal mining on a small West Virginia community, was absolutely gripping—neither too downbeat nor too preachy, but as heartbreakingly real as can be.

6.     Kat Ross, The Midnight Sea. The first book in a planned YA trilogy, this Arabian Nights-flavored fantasy uses actual history concerning the Persian Empire and Alexander the Great to weave a spellbinding story about supernatural creatures and the warriors who both hunt them and bond with them. It’s one of those books that feels utterly imaginative and utterly real at the same time, and needless to say, I couldn’t put it down!


That’s just a sampling, and I’d love to hear from readers about what books you lose sleep over! Who knows, maybe one of my books will make your list! 

About Scavenger of Souls:

Querry and the members of Survival Colony 9 have defeated a whole nest of the creatures called Skaldi, who can impersonate humans even as they destroy them. But now the colony is dangerously low in numbers and supplies. Querry’s mother is in command, and is definitely taking them somewhere—but where? Some secret from her past seems to be driving her relentlessly forward.

When they do finally reach their destination, Querry is amazed to discover a whole compound of humans—organized, with plenty of food and equipment. But the colonists are not welcomed. Everything about them is questioned, especially by Mercy, the granddaughter of the compound’s leader. Mercy is as tough a fighter as Querry has ever seen—and a girl as impetuous as Querry is careful. But the more Querry learns about Mercy and the others, the more he realizes that nothing around him is as it seems. There are gruesome secrets haunting this place and its people. And it’s up to Querry to unearth the past and try to save the future in this gripping conclusion to the Survival Colony novels. 


About Joshua David Bellin:

Short bio: Joshua David Bellin is the author of Survival Colony 9 and Scavenger of Souls. His next book, Freefall, releases in 2017. He loves monsters. Really scary monsters.

Find him online: Twitter - Facebook - Website 

What books have you lost sleep over? Let me know in the comments or tweet me or Joshua and we can chat!




0 comments: