Review: The Night Circus

6:30 AM Serena 0 Comments

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Part of a series? No, it's a standalone. 

Summary: The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.


"The finest of pleasures are always the unexpected ones."

I really enjoyed this book. For the first hundred or so pages, I didn't think I would because a few things I don't usually like about books were present. The writing is a bit dense (for me) and incredibly descriptive, and the plot progressed slowly. But the more I read, the more I found that I actually did like it. Like, a lot.


The story takes place over the course of fifty or so years and is told from the (third person) point of view of many different characters. The dates got a little confusing at times, and I had issues keeping them straight, but for the most part it was okay. I usually find myself liking certain points of view more than others and wanting to flip through the ones that I don't like, but that didn't happen for me with The Night Circus. Each of the characters was unique, and I enjoyed everything they offered to the story, though I will say Poppet is my favorite.


"There are many kinds of magic, after all."

The romance was lovely, and I loved, loved, loved the magic. Everything from the general magic Celia and Marco used to the magic involved in running the circus was amazing. Even the romance itself was magical to me. I'm not too fond of the circus, but reading this made me wish a circus like 
Le Cirque des Rêves existed because it's something I'd visit over and over again. The Night Circus is beautiful, and it'll leave you searching for magic and caramel popcorn. 

0 comments: