(Audiobook) Review: Racing Savannah

8:41 PM Serena 0 Comments

Racing Savannah by Miranda Kenneally
Publication Date: December 3rd, 2013
Format: Owned, audiobook
Rating: 4/5 stars
Part of a series? Yup! It's part of the Hundred Oaks series, though each book can be read as a standalone.

They’re from two different worlds.

He lives in the estate house, and she spends most of her time in the stables helping her father train horses. In fact, Savannah has always been much more comfortable around horses than boys. Especially boys like Jack Goodwin—cocky, popular and completely out of her league. She knows the rules: no mixing between the staff and the Goodwin family. But Jack has no such boundaries.

With her dream of becoming a horse jockey, Savannah isn’t exactly one to follow the rules either. She’s not going to let someone tell her a girl isn’t tough enough to race. Sure, it’s dangerous. Then again, so is dating Jack...

PSA: This review is going to be a little bit different from my other reviews because, as you can already tell from the title, I read (err, listened) to this as an audiobook. I'll be talking about the audiobook and the story itself separately. 

The audiobook. So this is actually the first audiobook I've ever listened to outside of school, and I was a bit surprised by it. It wasn't absolutely blew-me-out-of-the-water-amazing, but I did enjoy it. I especially liked the way this particular narrator ( I don't know whether or not others do this.) used different voices for each of the characters. It made the plot more interesting for me. I was lucky enough to have won a giveaway by the author for all the audiobooks in this series, so I'm really excited to listen to the other books now. 

The Story Inside the Audiobook

The characters. I loved this cast of characters. They were so fun to read about. Savannah and Jack meshed so well together, and as frustrating as they were, I adored them. Rory, Vanessa, and Jack's sister, Shelby, were delightful secondary characters. Seeing their friendships build and seeing Jack interact with his sister made my heart happy. Another thing I really liked about this book was the characters' passions. Jack and Savannah were passionate about horses (and each other) and Rory was totally in love with script writing. I thought it was awesome. 

The horse racing. I am not really a sports fan, but I do love contemporaries that are centered around sports. I think it's the learning experience. I knew little to nothing about horses and horse racing when I started this book. Now that I've finished it though, I feel a deeper appreciation for the sport and for people who participate. This is not an easy sport, friends. 

The writing/plot. This is only my second Miranda Kenneally book, but I can honestly say that I want to read all the things she writes now. There were so many good things going on here. She wrote about the omg-high-school-is-ending-soon-what-do-I-do struggle. She wrote about the family struggle. She wrote about the money struggle. She wrote about relationship struggles. All important, relevant, real things, and I loved it. She also wrote some ridiculously amazing banter. *tips cowboy hat to Miranda*. 

In short: Racing Savannah was a charming book that will leave you wanting more of these characters. It's wonderful. I've found myself a new go-to contemporary author. 

0 comments: