Debut Author Spotlight - Review: One of the Guys by Lisa Aldin + Author Interview

12:00 AM Serena 0 Comments

One of the things I wanted to do on the blog this year was to feature more authors as a way for people to find books that maybe they weren't aware of before. (Also because authors are awesome and they supply the world with all these lovely books and it's kind of the best thing ever.) I thought the best way to do that would be to host debut authors whose books I personally cannot wait to read, or in this case, an author whose book I've already had the pleasure of reading. (Stay tuned for my review at the bottom of this post.)

I have Lisa Aldin, author of One of the Guys, here today! Let's give her a hand! 


*PSA: My questions will be bolded, like so, and Lisa's answers will be not-bolded, like so.*
Now, let the interviewing begin! 

How would you describe One of the Guys in seven words or less?

A tomboy searches for acceptance. Also - FUN.

What’s your writing process like? Are you an outliner, or do you have other methods?

I sort of outline, sort of wing it. I have ideas about what certain plot points will/could be and then I write out of order and fill in things as I go along. It’s a messy process and a lot changes from beginning to end. The first draft is always exploratory and then the organizing begins!

What did you want to be when you ‘grew up’? Did you always want to be an author?

I wanted to do something with movies—be a movie director or something—but I quickly discovered how much I loved stories. I wrote a play for a class in high school and loved that whole process. Then I moved to screenplays and short stories and books! I’ll try to write anything. I like to learn.

This is sort of connected to the previous question: Why did you decide to write YA?

I had an idea for a book years ago, but I wasn’t sure what genre it would fit into. My book idea led me to YA and...down the rabbit hole I went. Such a diverse and fun genre.

Where did your inspiration for One of the Guys come from. Namely Toni’s Rent-A-Gent Service because, let’s face it, we all want to know the story behind that.

LOL. It started with a title: Rent-A-Boy. It bloomed from there!

Do you fancast, or author cast in this case, your characters? If so, who do your characters look like in your head?

I let the imagination take over!

How do you plan to celebrate the release of your debut?

I’m not sure yet! I’m going to try and relax and get my favorite coffee drink and eat something yummy! =)


About Lisa Aldin:
Lisa Aldin graduated from Purdue University with a B.A. in English Literature. She now lives in Indianapolis, Indiana with her husband and daughter. ONE OF THE GUYS is her debut novel. 


You can find Lisa on Twitter and Tumblr



About One of the Guys:



Tomboy to the core, Toni Valentine understands guys. She'll take horror movies, monster hunts and burping contests over manicures. So Toni is horrified when she's sent to the Winston Academy for Girls, where she has to wear a skirt and learn to be a "lady" while the guys move on without her. Then Toni meets Emma Elizabeth, a girl at school with boy troubles, and she volunteers one of her friends as a pretend date. Word spreads of Toni s connections with boys, and she discovers that her new wealthy female classmates will pay big money for fake dates. Looking for a way to connect her old best friends with her new life at school, Toni and Emma start up Toni Valentine s Rent-A-Gent Service. But the business meets a scandal when Toni falls for one of her friends--the same guy who happens to be the most sought-after date. With everything she's built on the line, Toni has to decide if she wants to save the business and her old life, or let go of being one of the guys for a chance at love.



My Review:

Format: ARC - Thanks to Lisa for the copy!

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Part of a series? Nope! 


I am always on the hunt for cute contemporaries. Contemporary is my go-to genre for when I need a pick-me-up because I can always find light, fun books to lift my spirits. One of The Guys is one of those books. 

When a book is centered around a Rent-a-Gent service, you know it's bound to be interesting. But beyond the obvious hilarity that comes from that aspect of the story, other things are going on. You see Toni, our MC, navigating friendships and love and growing up and growing apart, which I know from experience is a really difficult situation to wrap your head around. And she managed it really well, too. She went from a girl against change to a girl who grew up and accepted and embraced it. 

If you find yourself looking for a quick, fun read, consider picking up One of the Guys! The cute boys (and the rest of the cast of characters) and delightful plot will leave you entertained! 

One of the Guys hits shelves on February 10th! You can preorder it on Amazon and Barnes and Noble now! :) 



0 comments: